Monday, July 12, 2010

The Volcano Quilt

   This quilt was inspired by Mom & myself a few years ago when I had some really bright red orange flower fabric , I had cut some 2" sq.'s and some of them looked like the flow of lava by turning the fabric. , I tried to make it  from the 2"squares for the whole quilt but I did not have enough of the fabric at the time ,so later on I found alot of landscaping fabric's, some left over from other wall hangings,and then I found the bright red & orange flame looking fabric at HeartFelt Quilt Shop in Winter Haven, so I decided to just make it an applicade wall hanging.
 Some of the the background fabric for the land (ground) came from the Needle Quilt Shop in Wellsboro, PA.and some of the darker batic colors came  from Suwannee Valley Quilt Shop in Trenton, FL
 Also some of the odd colors came from Walmart when they sold out ,like the black for the boarder,the sky I painted with Jacquard Textile Fabric paint ,I brought that at Michel's Crafts.
When Aunt kathy came down in Feb. she posted it part way done on her web site and then she told me she liked the loose threads, I had taken from some blue jeans , I wanted the gold color for texture ,I loved it just laying on top, but to sew it down made it messy and then I used some Fabric Solvy from Sulky and that made it too stiff and did not look good ,so I left it off .
 I plan to enter this in the Suwannee River Quilt Show in Oct. I want to give it a name ,at one time I thought to call it "Fire & Brimstone!!"

4 comments:

  1. WONDERFUL!!!! Lou suggested Mighty Eruption. I also love the basket-weave.
    The two of you are so talented, you put me to shame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonjour, il est vraiment très beau.
    C'est toi qui a dessiné le volcan ou tu t'es inspirée d'une photo ? Tout est fait en appliqué ? Mn fils adoré les volcans. Merci d'avance.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are much appreciated.I would love to know your thoughts ,Thank You.